Thursday 17 January 2013

Crockpot Baked Potato Soup

Once again, Tom and I seem to have managed to go for a rather excessively long time without eating - seven months or so? Ha. I suppose I only feel inspired to post in here when I make exceptionally delicious meals, and when I think to document said meals. Now, that's not to say that we've eaten nothing but rubbish since last June, but I've been a little bit...pre-occupied, shall we say, with a certain little someone!

Anyway. This week one of the meals I made was a wonderful slow cooker dish that I threw together in about ten minutes before heading out the door for the day. I used this recipe for Baked Potato Slow Cooker Soup from Thirty Handmade Days with only a few tweaks. I didn't use russet potatoes - I just used the yellow-flesh potatoes that I already had in our pantry, 8 or 9 mid-large sized ones. I used half cheddar cheese and half shredded Kraft TexMex cheese, and instead of mashing (I tried, it didn't really work that well), I used my immersion blender, which worked very quickly and did an excellent job blending everything all together quickly.

I also served this recipe for cornbread, from the same blog. Though also with some tweaks. Ha - would I be my mother's daughter if I didn't deviate from recipes? I didn't have/couldn't find canned chilis (I didn't look too hard, though - No Frills was INSANE on Saturday afternoon. Ugh.) so I threw in some black pepper and chili powder. I'd add more chili powder next time, and maybe a bit less sugar, as it was pretty sweet. Tom liked the sweetness of the bread, but agreed it could be cut down a bit.

It was a lot of cornbread for just the two of us, but thankfully neither of us is sick of it yet, even though I've been serving it all week haha. It's also on the menu as a side for tonight's meal of Impossible Taco Pie. I didn't get any pictures of the cornbread, but there are some on the link to the original recipe if you really want to see it. It's cornbread. What do you expect it to look like?

We garnished this yummy soup with sour cream, cheddar cheese, bacon and green onions. 


Star-Reviewer Tom gives this recipe 7/7 bowl-scrapes


No comments:

Post a Comment